Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cocks' pick up another Clemson Commit

From THE STATE, Columbia, S.C.: Running back Ben Axon (6-1, 200) of Bradenton, Fla., has decommitted from Clemson and committed to USC.

Axon had committed to the Tigers in June, but after the resignation of Tommy Bowden, his commitment weakened considerably.

It was just the sudden downfall of the Clemson program," Axon said. "They are going downhill. They lost to Georgia Tech, which I thought was very important to coach Swinney. It just didn't seem right for me to go up there. I was a Tiger and I was committed to Clemson. Clemson felt like home to me. But I've made my decision and I hope everybody respects that."

Axon said USC also was one of the first schools to offer him and he always remained interested in the Gamecocks.

"Instant playing time and the difference between the SEC and the ACC," he said in giving reasons for going with USC. "At Clemson, I was guaranteed a little playing time if I worked hard, but at South Carolina I was guaranteed the starting job if I work hard. Watching them play LSU this weekend made me think even harder about being a Gamecock. The only thing they didn't have was a running game."

Free safety, ranked No. 1 at his position, Devonte Holloman has not verballed to USC, but might in November.

No comments: